California Home Buyer Grant
Update 9/28/17: The NHF Sapphire Grant has been discontinued.
The NHF Sapphire Grant program is available for either 3% or 5% or the first mortgage amount.
The only difference between the two Grant amounts is the interest rate is higher if you choose a 5% Grant.
First Mortgage Requirements
- FHA 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Only
- VA 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Only
- USDA 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Only
- Income Limit 115% of Area Median Income
- No Payments Required | Not Paid Back
- Maximum First Mortgage amount - $417,000
- No First Time Buyer Requirement
- Single family residence
- Single family Condominium – with HOA approval
- Single family Townhouse – with HOA approval
- The lesser of $417,000 or maximum FHA loan limits permitted by HUD.
NHF Sapphire Grant | Borrower Requirements
- Owner Occupied only – borrower must live in the home as a primary residence
- FHA Debt to Income Ratios per Automated Approval
- NHF Sapphire DTI is NOT LIMITED like other Assistance
- Minimum 620 Credit Score
- Income Limits based on County - See income limits
NHF Sapphire Grant | Program End Date
The NHF Sapphire Grant is an ongoing program with no specific end date and may be discontinued at anytime. Currently the program is perpetually funded and should be around for a while.
If funds are no longer available, or you are unable to meet the qualifications for this assistance program, there are other options that may be available to you.
California home buyers should also explore Mortgage Credit Certificates, CRA Programs, Lender/Agent Credits or other creative down payment and closing cost assistance options.